Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Remembrance: September 11, 2001


Every year for the past 6 I’ve been very sad and angry on this day. Seven years ago today, as Americans went about their daily business, children going to school, parents heading off to work, police and fire personnel manning their stations, a murderous group of Islamists attacked our country. I remember so vividly the cowardly terror attacks on America. This morning I awoke and immediately remembered the ones who were murdered that day. I said a prayer just like I’ve done for the past 6 September 11th’s. I got up, did my morning routine and came to work. I’m still angry. You say, “Get over it”? I say no chance in hell will I ever forgive OR forget. It’s something that’s been seared into my brain like a bad dream come true.

I remember what that Mensa member Idiot, Bill Maher said on his now defunct ABC propaganda program shortly after the attacks: “We have been the cowards, lobbing Cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, not cowardly”.

Well Bill, you are wrong on so many counts. And here are just a few of my reasons:

- Taking innocent civilians hostage and murdering them is cowardly.
- Attacking non-military targets is cowardly.
- Using civilian passenger planes as missiles is cowardly.

There is a HUGE difference between what our brave American military men and women do and the cowardly acts of terrorists.

- America tells you in advance that we are coming and why. No bullshit, no sneaking. It’s up to the enemy to prepare their defense.
- America comes at the terrorists in full uniform and under our flag. No hiding behind civilian clothes and posing as ordinary travelers or civilians.
- America does its best to avoid any “collateral damage” (BTW, I hate that term). The cowards we go after are different. They don’t care who else gets killed or maimed in the name of Islam.
- America doesn’t hide behind the civilian population. The cowardly terrorists do. They hide behind women and children. They attack from schools, hospitals and mosques knowing full well that U.S. military personnel are reluctant and under orders NOT to return fire.

You know, there are times when our country and our leaders are wrong. Lots of times. I see that and while I’m not at all happy about it, I can also see the good we have done across the world. Even in places where we are despised and denigrated, we continue to help.

That’s just the way we are here in the United States of America.

We give and give more.

We help and keep on helping.

We are a good nation of all sorts of people who want to do what’s right and just.

No comments: